Animal Control

If you own a dog in the Town of Penetanguishene, you must get a license for them each year.  It is our responsibility to provide a safe community for our citizens and their pets. Licensing plays an important role in our ability to fulfill this responsibility. A license allows animal control to identify your pet, get in touch with you, and make decisions that are in the best interest of your pet should it become lost or injured. (Cat licensing is optional)

Dog Licensing Fee

Submitting a Dog Licence Application

The application, along with any other documents and fee payment, can be submitted at the following locations:

  • Townhall, 10 Robert Street West, during regular business hours (8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday to Friday).
  • Penetanguishene Library, 24 Simcoe Street, during regular business hours (10:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Monday to Friday and 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Saturday).

Please complete the Dog Licence Form and return it in person with payment and a certificate that the dog(s) has been inoculated with an anti-rabies vaccine. 

Please note that there is a maximum of two (2) dogs permitted per dwelling unit.

Reporting Animal Concerns

Huronia Animal Control provides animal control services for the Town of Penetanguishene. Enforcement of the Town's Dog Licensing and Control By-law includes: at large, vicious attacks and poop-and-scoop violations.

  • To report concerns of animal cruelty, dogs at large, poop-and-scoop, violations or animal attacks contact: Huronia Animal Control (705) 549-2289
  • For barking dogs contact the Town of Penetanguishene By-law Division. Contact information is on the left side of this page.

Prohibited Animals

The full list of prohibited animals is within the Schedules of the By-law, which can be found here. There is a significant range of animals on the prohibited list including all venomous reptiles, amphibians and insects.

All venomous/poisonous snakes are prohibited. Snakes that exceed two (2) metres in length are prohibited.

All venomous or poisonous lizards are prohibited. Lizards that exceed two (2) metres in length from snout to tip of tail are prohibited.

Contact the By-law Enforcement Department at 705-549-7453 or Animal Control Officer at 705-549-2289 for more information.

Other Questions

Should your dog wander away from you or your property or is injured on the road, a dog license enables the Town's Animal Control Officer to contact you quickly and easily.

If you have a current dog license and your pet has passed away please let us know by contacting the Town Office or emailing By-Law Enforcement. Your dog license record will be updated so that you will no longer receive dog license reminders for your dog.

The Dog Licensing and Control By-law requires that dogs be leashed when on any lands other than the premise of the owner and are deemed to be under control of a capable and responsible person if it is on a leash which leash is in the hands of an individual able to restrain the dog and/or maintain control over the dog.

Scroll to top